It was a day of indulgences. Let’s just get that said right off the bat. However, it was not necessarily for a lack of trying to make healthier choices.
I started out alright, but was quickly waylaid in my efforts to avoid temptation when a shopping trip with one of my best friends meant a stop at a coffee house for cold drinks before we hit the stores. I still put in some effort though since I didn’t order the lemon loaf that I wanted to accompany my frosty beverage. Later on, I also made up my mind to have a salad for my late lunch instead of the 12-inch sub I was contemplating.
Then it really went downhill. However, again, it wasn’t because I threw in the towel. Since I was helping my friends get a number of things organized for their upcoming wedding, they very kindly offered to pick up another round from a coffee shop and so I asked for the same thing I had ordered earlier in the day – but I forgot to mention that I get them without whipped cream. And then when one of them was out picking up the drinks, they decided to grab dinner for all of us from McDonald’s! It was such a nice gesture, but it meant that I had to cancel the more sensible sushi that my husband was about to bring over for me to eat.
The really interesting part about that sudden switch is the way that my mind found immediate comfort in the fact that my choice of food had been made by someone else and that – oh, darn – I was being ‘forced’ to consume whipped cream, a burger and fries, and even dessert. Well, I couldn’t be rude, right?!
It was pretty fascinating to get that little glimpse into my own psyche. I was so happy to have an excuse to eat much less healthy options without the guilt of having made the decision myself. I guess there’s nothing wrong with that type of reaction… I just thought it was noteworthy.
But, then, the ice cream blend was all me!
FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 4 glasses of water
- 1 wrap on a soft tortilla shell with deli ham, cheese, dried cranberries, spinach, fat free Miracle Whip, mustard, and pepper
- 1 glass strawberry crème blend made with skim milk
- 4 cups salad with deli ham, grated cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, black olives, and honey mustard dressing
- 1 glass strawberry crème blend made with skim milk and topped with whipped cream
- 1 1/4 cups French fries with salt
- 1 cheeseburger with onion, ketchup, and mustard
- 1 piece of a blueberry crumble
- 2 cups mint chocolate bar ice cream blend
- 10 squats