Saturday, August 29, 2009

I Will Dream Of Scones

I have no doubt that tonight I will have visions of wonderfully tasting blueberry scones drifting through my sub-conscious. Yes, it was that good. Pardon me while I find something to wipe the drool from my chin.

My Caesar salad turned out well; it’s just lettuce, dressing, and croutons though so it’s not like I could have messed up the recipe or anything. It has always been my favourite type of salad – especially when it has some of those baby shrimp added. I used to order it in restaurants when I was younger, but would think about how I would be better off eating something more like a garden mix. As I have come to understand a little more about what promotes long term success, I realize now that it’s better to have something that I really enjoy that has some nutritional value than something great for me but that I am not as excited over. Otherwise, I am risking a self-provoked revolt during which I would probably head for the nearest pizza joint.

Fortunately my tastes have changed a lot over the years and there is now some variety in the foods that I enjoy. Instead of finding that green mix uninspiring I am looking forward to running out of my romaine so that I can go and buy more ingredients for another Seven Day Salad.

Rounding out this odd discussion on foods that I ate today, I feel the urge to comment on the grapes I had this evening. I pulled out two bunches from the big bag that I purchased, plucked them all off the stem, piled them into a bowl, washed them, and proceeded to munch away. What I failed to initially notice was the size differentiation in the fruits that had grown on the two respective bunches. One group was average and the other was huge.

As I set about eating the grapes I had some of the biggest ones first (not noticing anything unusual) and they were really sweet and tasted wonderful. Then I popped one of the littler guys into my mouth. Whoa! What a difference! I admit that my face is still puckering a bit at the thought of those grapes. In all fairness they were not actually sour, but after the super succulent massive ones I had already been eating they certainly weren’t registering on the old taste buds as sweet. It was such a distinctly different flavour that I had to pick through my bowl and eat all the average ones first so that I could enjoy them before digging into the ultra tasty huge grapes.

Hmmm… I wonder if anyone reading this is looking for a point to these ramblings. I hope not, because I think they’re more the result of exhaustion than pointed storytelling. Okay, how’s this for a moral? Sugar plums are nothing compared to blueberry scones. No? Alright, then try this one on for size: When I confessed my acceptance of mixed greens to the Caesar it asked, “Et tu?” Come on! That’s gold! Fine. Take this one or leave it… You have to get over sour grapes to get to the really sweet stuff!

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 11 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 1/2 cups of blueberries
- 2 cups of Caesar salad with light dressing and croutons
- 1 wrap on a soft tortilla shell with Tuscan ham, grated cheese, mushroom, carrot, romaine lettuce, fat free Miracle Whip, mustard, and pepper
- 1 blueberry scone with margarine
- 2 cups of grapes

EXERCISE:
- 40 minutes on the recumbent bike completed in 2 sets (10 minutes and 30 minutes)

3 comments:

  1. I liked the "Et tu?"
    Oh, and the food ramblings. I do the same thing so I was able to follow along and connect the dots just fine!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just gave me my laugh for the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks... people usually just groan at my jokes!

    ReplyDelete

Tracker