Monday, August 17, 2009

Sobering Thought

I was just catching up on reading 282.5's blog at http://282point5.blogspot.com/ and was finishing her most recent post about BMI ratings and I started to wonder where the line between 'morbidly obese' and 'obese' lay. I looked it up and, for anyone who doesn't already know this, it turns out that a BMI or 40 to 50 classifies as morbidly obese. Plus, I had no idea that there is actually another category that is for those with a BMI of over 50 known as 'super obese'.

So that's when I realized that I started this particular journey - blog and all - with a BMI of exactly 39.9 and am just skimming below the dividing line between obese and morbidly obese. I suppose in a way this is good news, but it made me realize that about four months ago, for the first time in my life, I was categorized as being in the higher category. To me that is a scary thought and one that I hope will continue to motivate me down to the 'overweight' listing and eventually 'normal'.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have the right idea-- as much as it's useful, use it, but I wouldn't waste too much time fretting about it. You're going the right direction. How are you making out with all that fabulous produce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do a post about the BMI some day. It's not perfect, it tries to be a one-size-fit-all and that doesn't work. So take it with a grain of salt. Yes, I am thrilled to officially not be morbidly obese anymore. Yes, my BMI is 39.9, which is right on the line, but it is what it is--so celebrate you didn't go over. You're on a downward trend, so don't worry about it.

    There are also different categories to obesity. Right now I'm a class II. If you click my goal page on the side bar, you'll find a link that talks about the obesity ranges. If you're curious.

    Like I say, use it as a guide, but don't worry about it all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the BMI is just one more tool to use along this journey; I am definitely more of a holistic approach type of person. The produce consumption is going really well, which I'm thrilled with. I really think I made a smart move preparing so much of it in one go.

    ReplyDelete

Tracker