Friday, August 28, 2009

Water Logged

How much water is too much? I have been upping my water intake in great strides since starting this blog and am now wondering if it is possible to drink too much of the old H2O.

I used to be really bad for having water; I would actually go days without drinking so much as a glass. Combine that poor habit with the severe lack of fruits and vegetables in my diet and I sometimes question how my body was able to function with such a lack of fluids.

For the last couple of weeks though I have been really good. I am eating large amounts of produce every single day and have increased my daily water intake to seven or eight glasses. I have been really pleased with myself and felt like I was right on track with the 'recommended' servings.

Then, last night, I realized that I had drank eleven cups of water throughout the day. Today my intake seems high as well and, in fact, as I am writing this I just paused to finish off the last few drops of a glass of the good stuff right now.

From all the online research I have done, it seems like up to twelve glasses per day is acceptable, but I can't help but wonder if I am veering into a place where I am drinking too much when all the fruits and vegetables are taken into consideration.

The reason I have been getting so much H2O lately has been because I finish a glass and automatically pour another. I don't like eating without something to drink and I'd rather not consume extra calories from a fluid like milk, juice, or (even worse) soda pop. So, straight out of my Brita jug it is. Anyone have any knowledge on this topic? Am I consuming too much water?

HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU DRINK PER DAY?


3 comments:

  1. From what I've heard, the only risk with regard to drinking too much water is if you're also getting a lot of sun and/or exercise because it can flush all the electrolytes out of your system. But I don't really know the details...so don't just take my word for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto was S. said (above). Next time you're at your doctor's ask him/her. The more you workout, the more fluid you need because you are sweating and your body is metabolizing fat and needs liquid to flush the fat out of your body. Also, water is excellent for your kidneys and liver - for us overweighters, our poor organs are in heaven when we start giving them water to flush out the years of toxins we abused them with.

    I'd say, go by how you feel. If you start to feel sick or bloated, back off on the water. If you feel fine - don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent pearls of wisdom as always!

    ReplyDelete

Tracker