Sunday, October 11, 2009

All Revved Up With No Place To Go

I was all ready to write tonight about a local 5K race that I was planning on walking this Monday. I had hummed and hawed in my head for the last couple of weeks about whether I was going to do it or not, and tonight I made the decision that I would. Well, I looked up the details online and somehow I must have gotten my wires crossed because it is actually a 10K. That in itself is not enough to deter me, but then I saw the entrance fee! Between my husband and I it would be a triple digit cost and we just can’t afford that right now on top of everything else. Sigh…

I was so excited about this race. I had no intention of running, but I thought that just participating as a walker would have been a really great experience, and one that would serve me well if I ever entered something similar as a jogger.

Refusing to admit defeat, I started looking up other races that are taking place over the next month or so. I found one that fits the bill quite well – a 5K in a couple of weeks with a much lower registration fee – but my husband has a prior commitment on that day and wouldn’t be able to do it with me. I certainly don’t need him there, but I just love that he has wanted to be a part of all these big changes that I have undergone on this journey. If I was planning to run then him being present would not be a question (even though this would be my first 5K, it would feel more monumental if I were not simply intending to walk, I think), yet even so it makes me sad to think that he would miss seeing me walk across my first finish line.

I don’t know. I feel pretty disappointed that I won’t be doing this Monday’s event like I had anticipated. Now I guess I need to make a decision about whether I should do this other race without my main support system there. I can’t help it… even if it is comprised of just one very important person, I still really like having a cheering section.

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 8 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 banana
- 2 1/2 cups of celery with 2 Tb. light peanut butter
- 3/4 cup fat free peach yogurt with 1 cup of Just Right cereal
- 3 1/2 cups of chicken Caesar salad with light dressing, canned chicken, Parmesan, croutons, and bacon bits
- 1 mug of tea with skim milk
- 1 slice of toasted rye bread with margarine
- 1 heated pear with cinnamon

EXERCISE:
- 1 hour walk
- 2 sets of 50 stomach crunches

4 comments:

  1. Oh Oh Oh......I just saw that you are in the two-teens!!!!! Congratulations. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that the race didn't work out this time! But that's so cool your husband is taking such an active role in your journey! Hope you find the "right" race--and hopefully this is only the start of many fitness adventures to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And, yeah, I know my husband rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that hubby is supportive...hope you can find a 5k soon that he can accompany you to! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tracker