Sunday, October 4, 2009

Confidence Boost

A couple of completely unexpected and really confidence boosting things happened to me today. I think these were two of the best non-scale victories I have had to date!

The first had to do with the fact that the friend I was with today agree to go for a walk along the lengthy seaside path that I have mentioned before. When we arrived I double checked that she knew it would take about two hours to do the ten kilometer loop and she was fine with that. This particular woman has always been very fit and body and health conscious so it came as a complete shock when it quickly became apparent that she needed me to slow my pace.

I know that this friend has been going through a few struggles lately that have likely caused her focus on healthy practices to wane slightly, so I obliged without complaint. But, after less than halfway through she needed to take a break. I was floored! I am not remotely knocking her fitness level, but I really took it as a boon to my own! We ended up having to take a second break, slowing our pace a few more times, and cutting short the loop by about two and a half kilometers since she didn’t feel she could finish. In all fairness I think her shoes were really bugging her, but I still believe that it is a great example of how far I have come on this journey.

The second NSV is warranted because a guy flirted with me. Me! I am so happy and fulfilled in my marriage and would never, ever even put half a thought into anyone else as a possibility, but it felt so great to know that someone other than my – wonderfully biased – husband found me attractive!

I was really very sweet how it happened too. As my friend was driving us around a van pulled up next to us at a light, and I caught the eye of the driver in one of those millisecond scans. He smiled at me and held up his water bottle in a sort of salute. Well, I was drinking water too so I saluted him back, not thinking much of it at that point. As we moved up a little, he pulled up beside us and kept grinning at me and then he waved. It was adorable. We drove straight for a short while and when he came up beside us a couple of times he kept on smiling and glancing over at me, and when we turned off that street he even beeped the horn at us. Honestly, it was one of the sweetest ways I have ever been hit on, and it meant more than he’ll ever know because it has been so long since the last time that I can’t even remember when it might have been. It was a really, really nice NSV!

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 8 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 pear
- 2 cups of salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, onion, cucumber, grated carrot, grated cheese, and buttermilk ranch dressing
- 1 wrap on a soft tortilla shell with deli sliced turkey, lettuce, dried cranberries, grated cheese, fat free Miracle Whip, mustard, and pepper
- 2 cups of Caesar salad with light dressing and croutons
- 1 sip of cola
- 1 mandarin orange

EXERCISE:
- 1 hour and 35 minute walk
- 20 minute aerobics workout

8 comments:

  1. WOW! Doesn't it feel awesome to get a little attention even if you have no intentions to stray from your hubby? Good for you!! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look awesome! Slim and trim lady. I am so proud of you. Thank you for sharing. All your hard work is paying off. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same experience with a once-fit friend. Used to be, she had to wait for me to catch my breath, or "take a picture of all this great scenery." Now, she's the one who needs a rest and I tend to forge on ahead unless she reminds me.

    You sure that flirtatious guy was driving a van? Sounds like he thought he was driving a 'pick up' truck ;)

    Okay, okay, I'll stop with the feeble puns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome! A little drive-by flirting makes you giddy, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, there is nothing better than when a stranger finds you attractive. It is a form of truth that we don't often get from those close to us, hehe.

    Keep rocking it out, those Non-Scale Victories are piling up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of those experiences yesterday were big boons for me! Merry, I almost spit out my water on that one... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great NSVs for you too! Whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh cool...innocent flirting with strangers is one of the BEST NSV's...I forgot to list that one the other day!! And I bet having to stop and wait on your friend was a MAJOR boost to your confidence with your exercise capabilities...it certainly should be!!! You're doing such a fantastic job at this weight loss thing girl!! You inspire me every single day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tracker