Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Festive Feast

Today was our Christmas party and I had a fantastic time! It was really great to be surrounded by loved ones and to be able to host a nice dinner at our place. I spent the majority of the day in the kitchen which ended up benefiting me, I’m sure; it left very little time to scope out the appetizer table I had layed out.

I am really pleased with how I ate today. I don’t feel like I went overboard, but I also do not feel deprived at all. It’s the perfect balance! I am also very proud of how I avoided so many temptations without much effort: multiple kinds of candy, trail mix, ice cream, wine and spirits, miniature sausages, and a variety of home baking. I love putting out a big spread!

The treats that are still around will be taken over to the homes of friends and family over the next few days and anything that is left after the holidays will be sent to my husband’s work. Right now, I am not feeling worried about snacking on the leftovers. I did excellently today and am confident that will carry over until at least after the weekend.

This is the second big meal I have had since my last weigh-in and I have three more to go before my next official weigh day. I have to admit I am feeling a little concerned about what the scale will think of these heavier feedings come next Saturday. But I am staying the course and continuing to make good decisions throughout my days.

It’s nice to finally have it in my head that one large meal – or even an indulgence here and there – does not need to mean that all the hard work of the day, or even week, is undone. The celebrations of this season may encompass more than a single Christmas dinner, but they certainly don’t generally take up the whole twenty-four hours of the day upon which they are scheduled. I can make lots of wise choices to try and counter any effects the festive foods may cause, and if that doen’t work… at least I had fun!

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 8 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 banana
- 1 whole wheat English muffin with light strawberry jam
- 2 whole grain cranberry and hazelnut crackers
- 3/4 cup roasted and seasoned potatoes
- 3/4 cup corn with margarine
- 3/4 cup steamed broccoli with margarine
- 3/4 cup honey mustard glazed ham with mustard
- 1 1/2 homemade cloverleaf buns
- 1 cup homemade calorie-reduced trifle
- 1 homemade cherry shortbread cookie
- 2 crackers with cheese
- 2 cups spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, green onion, red and yellow peppers, mushrooms, grated carrot, dried cranberries, croutons, and calorie-wise Greek feta and oregano dressing

EXERCISE:
- 50 stomach crunches
- 15 lunges for each leg
- 15 squats

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you did do excellent! Well done! And you still managed some exercise - that is wonderful:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly - this is life! Enjoying some, not overindulging - this is how thin people live. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't spend the holiday worrying about the scale. A couple of days didn't get you where you WERE and they won't take you back there. Focus on your accomplishment thus far and how much more you are going to do after the holidays are over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you found the way to enjoy yourself and the holiday but not to excess. You'll have no regrets in January.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes, and yes! What a Splurge, I especially love your comment here... I will not have ANY regrets in January!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great attitude! Yes, we just get right back to it if we "enjoy" a bit more. There are options to tighten up the food the next couple days or exercise a bit more. The key is to not get all crazed about it & move on.

    ENJOY & good job!

    ReplyDelete

Tracker