I decided to do something a bit different for part of my exercise routine today. I worked out with my more difficult step video, but I did so with some light weights in each hand. As usual, I mimicked all the arm motions demonstrated on the DVD, but this time I was doing so with an increased burden on my arm muscles. I was quite pleased that I thought to try this adaptation and, while I’m sure I won’t be incorporating it every time, it was an easy modification that resulted in a significantly increased degree of difficulty for the workout. I’m not sure how I will feel tomorrow, but right now my arms are pretty jell-o like.
On top of that, this afternoon was the first solid run for the C25K. I was really surprised that I did not have more trouble completing it. Maybe I shouldn’t have been – I know I mentioned once before that I have found the intervals to be more challenging than the couple of random times I have jogged for longer periods of time since beginning this blog. I think it is just easier to hit and maintain a stride when there is no stopping and starting. Next week there are two more sessions with intervals and then a twenty-five minute run. I can’t say I am looking forward to that long jogging set, but at least now I am not as anxious about it, having done the twenty minute one today.
I really love my exercise plan. I am glad that I don’t have severe structure built into it; most days I simply do what I want or what feels right. For me, it allows for a natural building up or my strength and stamina and it creates an unending series of opportunities to give myself a break, just go with the flow, or really push my limits to the breaking point.
FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 11 glasses of water
- 1 banana
- 1 slice whole wheat toast with light peanut butter
- 3/4 cup fat free strawberry yogurt with 1 cup cranberry almond cereal
- 2 golden delicious apples with cinnamon
- 4 scrambled egg whites with grated cheese and frozen spinach
- 1 cup steamed broccoli, asparagus, and cauliflower with margarine
- 2 1/2 cups celery with light peanut butter
- 1/2 nectarine
- 30 minutes of the C25K program (Day 3 of Week 5)
- 35 minute step workout video with 2.5 lbs weights for each arm