I have been thinking a lot about why I binged on Monday. As much as I am comfortable with putting it behind me and moving forward with this journey, I also believe that it can really help me in the long run to examine why I had so much trouble a couple of days ago.
I really think that what it comes down to is that I was tired. It wasn’t just about being physically worn down, but also about the mental exhaustion that eventually sets in when I have those lowered energy stores. I believe that it is that combination of factors that really triggered my overeating.
When I look back at the one other time during this journey that I feel like I succumbed to too much food, I see a similar pattern. I was sick with a cold at that point – again, run down physically first – and just couldn’t get enough of a mental battle going to prevent the binge. Obviously, I really need to figure out a way to prevent the slide from bodily fatigue into mental lethargy, as that seems to create an apathetic mindset that is doing me no good.
So I have come up with a short list of things to try if I start to feel the shift from physical to psychological tiredness. Hopefully, if I manage to apply these techniques before I find myself face down in a cheesecake, I can curtail the tendency towards overindulgence.
- take a nap
- manicure my fingernails
- go for a short walk
- catch up on emails and blog reading
- have a bath
- give myself a facial
- ask my husband for a massage
- play a board game
- paint my toenails
- practice my belly dancing routine
Note: I have a second part to this little introspection that I will post in the morning. It is along the same line of self-examination, but it covers a different topic so I want to keep the thoughts separate.
FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 11 glasses of water
- 1 toasted English muffin with light peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 3/4 cup fat free peach yogurt with 1 cup Vector cereal
- 2 gala apples with cinnamon
- 9 pieces of a California sushi roll with soy sauce
- 4 cups spinach salad with cubed cheese, croutons, dried cranberries, orange pepper, mushrooms, and calorie-wise Greek feta and oregano dressing
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cranberry and almond multi-grain bar
- 1 1/2 cup asparagus with margarine
- 4 cups low fat butter flavoured popcorn
- 2 mugs of chai tea with honey and milk
- 1 hour and 10 minutes of walking completed in 2 outings (10 minutes long and 1 hour long)
- 25 minutes mowing the lawn