Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Mental Process - Part One

I have been thinking a lot about why I binged on Monday. As much as I am comfortable with putting it behind me and moving forward with this journey, I also believe that it can really help me in the long run to examine why I had so much trouble a couple of days ago.

I really think that what it comes down to is that I was tired. It wasn’t just about being physically worn down, but also about the mental exhaustion that eventually sets in when I have those lowered energy stores. I believe that it is that combination of factors that really triggered my overeating.

When I look back at the one other time during this journey that I feel like I succumbed to too much food, I see a similar pattern. I was sick with a cold at that point – again, run down physically first – and just couldn’t get enough of a mental battle going to prevent the binge. Obviously, I really need to figure out a way to prevent the slide from bodily fatigue into mental lethargy, as that seems to create an apathetic mindset that is doing me no good.

So I have come up with a short list of things to try if I start to feel the shift from physical to psychological tiredness. Hopefully, if I manage to apply these techniques before I find myself face down in a cheesecake, I can curtail the tendency towards overindulgence.

- take a nap
- manicure my fingernails
- go for a short walk
- catch up on emails and blog reading
- have a bath
- give myself a facial
- ask my husband for a massage
- play a board game
- paint my toenails
- practice my belly dancing routine

Note: I have a second part to this little introspection that I will post in the morning. It is along the same line of self-examination, but it covers a different topic so I want to keep the thoughts separate.

- 11 glasses of water
- 1 toasted English muffin with light peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 3/4 cup fat free peach yogurt with 1 cup Vector cereal
- 2 gala apples with cinnamon
- 9 pieces of a California sushi roll with soy sauce
- 4 cups spinach salad with cubed cheese, croutons, dried cranberries, orange pepper, mushrooms, and calorie-wise Greek feta and oregano dressing
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cranberry and almond multi-grain bar
- 1 1/2 cup asparagus with margarine
- 4 cups low fat butter flavoured popcorn
- 2 mugs of chai tea with honey and milk

- 1 hour and 10 minutes of walking completed in 2 outings (10 minutes long and 1 hour long)
- 25 minutes mowing the lawn


  1. great job....mental is 80 percent and the rest is 20 percent...that being said at least 50 percent of all statistics are bullsh*t.
    I know what you mean. The mental had been the driver for years.
    figure that out and you have got this puppy nailed.
    I like that you made a list as a way to circumvent further issues.
    Great job.

  2. Yes, the mental part is huge!!! You can do this!

  3. I think though that we set ourselves up to feel like this sometimes. Again, with the mentality. We tell ourselves that failure is not an option -- well, who is going to choose failure over success if it were an option? We are defeated sometimes by life but being able to get back up, forget, and move on creates the opportunity for success.

    You've been doing this longer than me so I know that you have your own way, but I say don't dwell and get going.

    Keep up the good work!

  4. I think it's so important to examine "the why". Weight loss is a learning process. If we fall and learn from it, the next time we might just stumble a little but not fall.

  5. Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

    Chris, Lmao at the stats comment!

    Seth, believe me I am moving on it; I am just an introspective person by nature!