Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Would You Like A Side Of Epic With That Fail?

Ask me how tempted I was to just skip posting my food today. On second thought, don’t ask; I’m pretty sure anyone could figure it out with just a glance at the list.

Apparently my Achilles’ heel is being sick. The desire to have comfort food while feeling as crummy as I do was just too much for me to handle. I made it through about half of the day without doing too badly, but then I knew the fight was over when I caught myself thinking about how I would justify on this blog the choices that I was going to be making.

I am able to put a little bit of a positive spin on the whole experience. First, when I finally made the decision to eat the foods I was craving I did so for two genuinely good reasons. I have heard time and time again that denying yourself whatever you are really wanting will often lead to consuming even more calories in the pursuit to divert than you would have had if the initial craving had simply been satisfied. Obviously I would prefer to avoid that. Plus, I have never thought of this new lifestyle as one that deprives me of anything. If I start making any foods completely off limits, then I am basically implementing the all or nothing attitude that only created frustration and led me to put on more weight in the past. Again, this is something I need to be wary of.

Furthermore, I did put forth some effort into limiting my portions. Prior to starting this journey I would have eaten the entire tube of potato chips, the whole box of cookies, and pilfered many more chocolates. I probably would have bought a large bag of candy, some caramel popcorn, and a two-liter of root beer and polished that all off too. This time, I checked the nutritional information prior to eating so that it was at least in my head beforehand, and I was very conscious of every bite. I took smaller portions only and walked away to eat so that I could assess in between helpings if I wanted more rather than sitting there with the entire package in my lap as I used to.

Does this sound like I am justifying? I’m not sure.

Overall, I certainly can’t claim that I am proud of the way I ate today. I know I caved. It was not a great moment in this journey. However, I also know that it does not mean that I have actually failed nor that I can’t start doing better again from this precise moment. I will keep at this and just hope that the cravings brought on by my being sick are finally satisfied.

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 8 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 Mandarin orange
- 2 cups chicken noodle soup
- 1 grilled cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread with cheese, fat free Miracle Whip, and margarine
- 2 chocolates
- 1 mug caramel apple spice drink
- 2 sandwiches on white onion buns with cheese slices, fat free Miracle Whip, and margarine
- 12 potato chips
- 2 cheese slices
- 1 mug of decaffeinated tea with milk and honey
- 5 lemon cream cookies

EXERCISE:
- 25 minute workout video
- 15 minute walk

16 comments:

  1. Sorry not been around, spent the last 9 days in hospital today am back home, not feeling my cheerful self as yet, but will get there once off this horrible medication.Popping in to say Hello and to let u know I will be around again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is something that you have learned from and you did better then if it would of been the old you. This journey is steps that we all learn from. If we all did it perfect we wouldn't be needing to lose the weight.

    Hope you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl....you are speaking my language. I think moderation is the key. It's great that you didn't fly into a chocolate coma like can happen so easily (to me anyways). I'm new to the blog world and just found your site and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my body feels bad I too am particularly tempted to eat to comfort myself. Considering all that you might have eaten, you made really reasonable choices. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, look at that list and then wonder what the old you would've eaten. That ought to make you feel better, and honestly, I've seen lists of food on my own e-tools that have looked far worse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your honesty here - I agree with what others have said. Before you began this journey, it could have turned into a wanton binge. All told - the choices you made did not seem too bad, and the portion control was great! In this human state - we will never achieve perfection. The key to lasting weight loss and peace with food is being able to have an occasional ripple and not be derailed by it. Thanks so much for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day doesnt not a fail make!! :) Its a road bump. You can keep driving in the same direction that you have been going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate -- I've been sick since just before Thanksgiving. I'm off schedule and off-track.
    Here's hoping we BOTH recover soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. one day will not derail your progress if YOU don't LET it. You can do this. Everyone has bumps in the road and that's how we LEARN to deal with those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking at your list I don't think you did permanent damage ;). Even though you were very reasonable in your choices, you don't want to start telling yourself that it is ok because you might be more likely to venture down this road again. Believe me, I know from experience. People told me it was ok to eat unhealthy snacks every once in a while. Eventually, every day became "every once in a while" for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's good that you at least measured, and also that you only took one portion at a time. I agree that you can't think of any food as off limits, or you just set yourself up to want it more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I have learned on this journey it's not about how many times you fall, it's about how many times you get back up. Saying that, you are doing marvelous... give yourself some grace today.. be kind to yourself, and don't go down the "beat myself up" path. Today was NOT the norm :)

    Keep on going!! Hugs.. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually think this is great & a learning experience for you. You learned that you can do this but get right back to it. You learned it is not the end of the world. You learned that you can do what you did consciously & know that you are making this choice & you were able to also read the labels & portion control! All great! NO FAILURE!

    I go thru this process too. I think it thru, decide if it is worth it, if it is, it is a conscious decision I made & I know what I will do after... get back to it AND, yes, I leave the container in the kitchen & portion it!

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Jody - this was a great learning experience for you.

    You were conscious of all you did and you learned some things about yourself. That is not failure.

    Hang in there and great job on not eating the entire packages of sweets/chips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! I just stumbled upon your blog and am amazed at your progress! My goodness you have made quite a transformation!

    I'm looking forward to seeing you successfully finish this journey!

    Tiff
    www.project365th.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You honestly didn't all that much! I know it's more than you've been eating, but in the grand scheme of things, I think you're gonna be okay.
    I hope you feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tracker