I did something I haven’t done in about a decade today. I did the polar bear swim! Oh my, is that water ever cold!!! It was so great to go running down to the water and into the freezing waves, a huge grin plastered across my face as I debated my own sanity. And then I gulped in a deep breath a moment before plunging my head under the surface of the cold, cold water only to shoot back up a second later and to turn tail and retreat to the much warmer embrace of the shoreline. Yeah… it was that good!
It was significant too. The reason I haven’t done the dunk for at least the last few years is because I was scared. I know that I can be a hypochondriac at times and I am fully aware of the fact that this fear was based on nothing but my own insecurities, but I was genuinely worried that my body – specifically, my heart – wouldn’t be able to handle the stress and shock that goes along with throwing oneself into such chilly water.
It may be unfounded and silly, but it’s true. I was convinced that I had a real chance of suffering some sort of damage, such was the state of decline I had allowed my body to enter. But today I knew that I would be fine. Today I was confident that everything I have done over these past few months has left me fit and strong. Today I faced more than just the cold water!
FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 8 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 banana
- 4 cups Caesar salad with bacon pieces, Parmesan cheese, croutons, and light dressing
- 1 mug gingerbread steamed soy milk
- 1 cup broccoli with dill dip
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup vegetable and chicken stir fry
- 1 slice homemade zucchini bread with butter
- 1 small mug caramel spiced apple cider
- 50 sets of walking up and down stairs (not all at one time)
- 25 minute workout video
- 5 sets of 25 side lying leg raises for each leg