Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cold War

I did something I haven’t done in about a decade today. I did the polar bear swim! Oh my, is that water ever cold!!! It was so great to go running down to the water and into the freezing waves, a huge grin plastered across my face as I debated my own sanity. And then I gulped in a deep breath a moment before plunging my head under the surface of the cold, cold water only to shoot back up a second later and to turn tail and retreat to the much warmer embrace of the shoreline. Yeah… it was that good!

It was significant too. The reason I haven’t done the dunk for at least the last few years is because I was scared. I know that I can be a hypochondriac at times and I am fully aware of the fact that this fear was based on nothing but my own insecurities, but I was genuinely worried that my body – specifically, my heart – wouldn’t be able to handle the stress and shock that goes along with throwing oneself into such chilly water.

It may be unfounded and silly, but it’s true. I was convinced that I had a real chance of suffering some sort of damage, such was the state of decline I had allowed my body to enter. But today I knew that I would be fine. Today I was confident that everything I have done over these past few months has left me fit and strong. Today I faced more than just the cold water!

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 8 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 banana
- 4 cups Caesar salad with bacon pieces, Parmesan cheese, croutons, and light dressing
- 1 mug gingerbread steamed soy milk
- 1 cup broccoli with dill dip
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup vegetable and chicken stir fry
- 1 slice homemade zucchini bread with butter
- 1 small mug caramel spiced apple cider

EXERCISE:
- 50 sets of walking up and down stairs (not all at one time)
- 25 minute workout video
- 5 sets of 25 side lying leg raises for each leg

11 comments:

  1. Good for you for changing your thinking. It is as simple as that!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I wonder if that shock to the body burns calories? I've NEVER been tempted by the Polar Bear Swim...it occurs in our area too. Too cold for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! That's amazing. I would be such a chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm saying this with a smile on my face, but you're crazy.!!

    Crazy brave!!! I couldn't bring myself to do that. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go - I could barely watch it on the news last night - almost 2000 people joined you!!! Good for you for conquering your fears!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to start hte year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOLY CRAP! Way braver than I am!!!! I saw a bunch of these polar things on the news! You should really be proud as you said: Today I faced more than just the cold water!

    I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Craaaazzzyyyyy!!! But it certainly sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a brave soul! Hoorah! What an extraordinary way to start a new year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg....
    holy crap.
    lol.
    Glad you made it back.
    exercise should be nothing after that.

    ReplyDelete

Tracker