Today I saw two women whom I haven’t seen in quite a long time. They both told me that I am looking great and I felt like they were very sincere in their remarks. It was really nice, but also a little weird. They are both overweight.
I never really thought too much about this scenario. The majority of my friends are relatively typical when it comes to what they weigh, so when I’ve seen one of them after an extended period of time I tend to think of my weight loss as a way in which I am becoming a little more similar to them. It never occurred to me that the opposite would be true.
Obviously I am only talking about the external physical shells that we all walk around in; I know perfectly well that – apart from any lessons an individual may learn because of a weight problem – how one looks has nothing to do with who a person is deep down. Yet, this evening, I still felt that in some way there was a very slightly increased divide between myself and the people I hadn’t seen in so long.
I’m not sure how to explain it… I am not trying to imply that the separation was due to a conscious thought or even on any significant level. It was not an inferiority / superiority thing. It didn’t even have to do with anything that was said or any tones used. It was just… there. This thought that echoed somewhere in the back of my head and that I felt so much like I could read in the eyes of both woman. It was this vague sense that recognized that we were no longer quite as similar as before.
Maybe I imagined it?
It has left me feeling a little bewildered. My mother is overweight, but I see her so frequently that this was never an issue. But tonight – with the surprise that crossed their features when they laid eyes on the shrunken version of me – I felt like I had abandoned these people in some small way.
FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 9 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 1/2 bananas
- 1 wrap on a soft tortilla shell with deli ham, grated cheese, spinach, dried cranberries, fat free Miracle Whip, mustard, and pepper
- 4 bites of pumpkin pie with 95% fat free Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup grapes
- 2 bites of a double chocolate cookie
- 1 1/4 cup homemade spinach, artichoke, and cheese pastry wreath
- 3 slices salami
- 2 miniature Mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup fat free mango-passion fruit yogurt
- 1 hour and 40 minutes of walking completed in 2 outings ( 1 hour long and 40 minutes long)
- 25 minute workout video