Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Like The Way The Scarves Jingle

I had my first Belly Dancing For Fitness class tonight. It was fun although I felt like I had a bit of trouble keeping up with the rest of the people there. I chatted with the instructor about it afterwards and she reassured me that all woman tend to feel that way after their first class, but that she hadn’t noticed me struggling like I thought I was. She gave me an information sheet that explains how to break down each of the moves, so I will likely try to get a bit of practice in before next week’s session.

When we were talking I also mentioned the weight I have lost. I told her that sometimes I feel like I really know my body very well because I have been so focused on it during this journey, but that there are also a lot of times when I feel like I don’t know it at all because of how drastically it has changed in a relatively short amount of time. In today’s class for example, I occasionally felt like I was doing the wrong thing because I don’t know how to get my new body to move properly. It’s as if all of the parts of me are literally in different places and I have to really think about and concentrate on how to get them to react in the same ways that were simply second nature to me when I weighed 266 pounds.

Regardless of all the mental processes, I really did have a good time doing the belly dancing and am looking forward to going again next week. Hopefully by then I will have a touch more lift and drop control in my hips and a little extra shimmy in my soul.

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 10 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 banana
- 3/4 cup fat free raspberry yogurt with 1 cup almond Oatmeal Crisp cereal
- 1 wrap on a soft tortilla shell with deli ham, grated cheese, spinach, dried cranberries, fat free Miracle Whip, mustard, and pepper
- 1 coconut and apricot fruit rolled treat
- 1 slice honey mustard ham with mustard
- 2 1/2 cups sliced orange pepper and mushrooms with calorie-wise three cheese ranch dressing

EXERCISE:
- 25 minute workout video
- 1 hour belly dancing class

8 comments:

  1. oh.
    I needed this post today as, after happily yammering last night on the teleseminar I held about TRYING NEW THINGS, reading this made me realize I need to git out there and practice what I preach.

    Ive been wanting to try belly dancing for ages.

    cant wait to read more about your experiences.


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, I always wanted to try bellydancing! Did it feel like a workout though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a dancer and would feel the same way as you did if I did my first Belly dancing class....so dont worry too much, as long as you have fun shaking your bootie, thats what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everybody! Miz, thanks for reminding me that there are lots of different aspects to these little posts of mine; I'm glad I helped in some small way! :) Sweety, I can't claim to have worked up too much of a sweat, but I suspect that is because it was the first class and she was taking it a bit easier on us. I do, however, have some slightly tender muscles this morning because I was definitely working some body parts I haven't in the past. I would say it was a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belly dance is fun! And you can -- trust me -- get a workout from doing it. Once the instructor gets you doing shimmies, the heart rate is going to go up. But it's still fun :)

    Rania has some DVDs that incorporate belly dance moves with aerobics, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the belly dancing class....so glad to hear you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tracker