Monday, January 25, 2010

Tastes Like Chicken Of The Sea

I’m not sure what got into me tonight. I have written a few times about how I am very much not the cooking type. I tend to be an eat-and-go kind of gal, which is likely how I ended up weighing 266 pounds. It’s not that I am particularly bad in the kitchen – in fact, I am an excellent baker – but rather that I am not a big fan of putting the time into creating an interesting meal when I could simply microwave something or go out to eat.

Since I have begun this journey I have obviously moved away from this habit a little, but I still tend to stick with very easy to prepare meals, such as wraps, and I consume a lot of quick fix items like celery sticks, yogurt, and fruit. I like my ruts. They’re easy and they have kept me on track so far.

So why in the world I suddenly felt possessed this evening to try my hand at altering a recipe on my own completely escapes me. Why I chose to make the main ingredient tuna, which I have never – even once – eaten willingly as an adult, also leaves me pretty baffled.

Yet, that is exactly what happened. I was looking in the fridge trying to decide what might peak my interest, but I couldn’t get the thought of tuna cakes out of my head. I hate tuna, but I saw a particularly yummy looking photograph in a cook book yesterday that showed the savory patties and I wondered if they might be a nice way to try and incorporate fish into my diet in some way.

I went online and found a few different recipes that looked easy and that were lower in fat, I thought about which ingredients seemed the most appealing to me, and I came up with a unique version which I then cooked! My husband nearly fell out of his seat when I presented him with his share!

The best part is that they were delicious! Really and truly, had I tasted them in a restaurant or at a friend’s I definitely would have looked forward to having them again. My darling man gobbled his up too and said that he loved them and wished there were more!

I don’t know what got into me tonight, but the results were superb! I am shocked and amazed that this little uncharacteristic undertaking turned out so well. It gives me hope that this pilgrimage to better health will continue to provide me with these types of positive surprises that have nothing at all to do with the scale. I am sure that I would not have gotten to this point if it weren’t for the slowly developing habits and new tastes that this journey has afforded me, and I am feeling very fortunate that I am continuing on the right track to a better and improved version of me… in many, many ways!

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- 12 glasses of water throughout the day
- 1 banana
- 2 egg wrap on a soft tortilla shell with grated cheese, orange pepper, mushrooms, and pepper
- 1 mug of caramel apple spice drink
- 1 toasted whole wheat English muffin with light strawberry jam
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms with calorie-wise three cheese dressing
- 1 small Mandarin orange
- 2 homemade tuna cakes

EXERCISE:
- 40 minute walk
- 25 minute exercise video

10 comments:

  1. I love when I try something new and it is a hit! I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to know how you made them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you can't write all that without sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duh, woman...where's the recipe???? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...we all need the recipe now!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm...I missed the part where you gave us the recipe. LOL!

    Good for you for trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA HA HA, great minds think alike. Recipe, por favor! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will soon be turning into a fish cake version of Nigella. Well done on persuing the fishy path. I've had fish three times this week and it was truly delicious- quite unexpected isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting about those tuna cakes! I am not a good cook period plus I don't think of ways to put food together. I rely on the online community for that BUT it has to be easy & not too many ingredients. I don't like long lists of stuff & I am lazy.. hate to clean it up! :-)

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Well, apparently I know what to do this morning's post on!

    ReplyDelete

Tracker